Possibly the most powerful thought I’ve heard in quite a while, was the picture of John Lennon’s bloodied glasses tweeted by his widow, with a simple comment that over 1,000,000 people have been killed with guns in America since John Lennon was killed outside his apartment in 1980.
It’s such a stunningly simple and terrible piece of data. I just cannot fathom why anyone cannot see the poison in the system.
There are reasonable limits placed on every freedom to ensure that they are not used in impinge in anyone else’s freedom.
You cannot legally shout fire in a crowded theatre, as this is dangerous.
Your right to be tried openly by your peers when charged with a crime, is not unlimited.
And your rights to have a gun is already limited (no nukes, rocket launchers, tanks, fully automatic weapons).
Guns kill more efficiently than any other commonly available weapon. And unlike dropping an anvil on the road runner, or driving a car over a prostitute in GTA, guns have a very simple and pure function, one that clearly is focused on taking away the most basic rights of others.
ONE MILLION PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KILLED BY GUNS IN THE USA SINCE 1980!!!
This is not some sort of esoteric philosophical concept.
There are about 300 million people in America, and about 30,000 die each year, by being shot with a gun. That’s one in every ten thousand people being killed by a single method, each and every single year.
There is no other form of mortality that gets less control!!!
– Food is more controlled than guns (a massive amount of carefully crafted controls to help keep the food chain healthy)
– Drugs are more controlled than guns (FDA approval required before sale, and strict controls on who can get access)
– Cars are more controlled than guns (strict safety standards, strict licensing, insurance and detailed and enforced usage guidelines)
– Building sites are more controlled than guns (licensing, high viz vests, hard hats, fences, guards etc)
– Furniture is more controlled than guns (flame retardant regs etc)
– Children’s toys are more controlled than guns (more rules than anyone could ever have imagined)
– Even my NYC dog license is more stringent that current gun law! (yearly licensing, confirmation of vaccinations)
There is absolutely no excuse for the way my rights are currently harmed by the rights of people to keep and carry deadly weapons!